Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Tactical Veteran Squad and X-Wing

It took a bit longer to get this last batch of guys done.  Here we go, 1 Veteran Tactical Marine Squad (which is equipped how a regular tact squad is in 40k).  After this I have one more tactical support squad and I'll be done painting mrk. II armor space marines which will be a nice break.  In the 4 months of challenges so far I've done all the boring work, 4 different styles of tactical squads that break down to essentially 2-3 tactical marine squads if I were to use them in a regular 40k game (or a similar number of plague marines).





In other nerd news there was a sale at the local game store and I picked up a copy of X-Wing, I've only played a few games but its pretty sweet so far.  I think I'll pick up a couple more ships.  I only have two complaints; one, there are too many damn tokens and two, I feel like all the imperial ships kinda suck.  Perhaps the other expansion ships are much better, but I've watched a few videos online and so far nothing evil looks all that sharp.  Good is dumb.

6 comments:

BT said...

I have also been playing X-Wing and it is fun. I suggest this site for making up lists. I think the hard part is getting all of the cards, where good cards can be on bad ships (Lamba Shuttle for example). This has kept me out of the game, but another friend of mine went balls deep into it and even has been re-painting the ships to give them more flair.

Here is the addy... http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/

If you want to do a good Imp list, you want Interceptors with Stealth. Howlrunner is a good add-on (with Stealth of course) to boost their fire power. Advanced TIEs kind of suck, as do normal TIEs, but they are cheap. The Rebel side has a lot of interesting builds as well and honestly can be done the cheapest at around 3 ships. My current Rebel build is Wedge (X-Wing), Biggs (X-Wing), and Dutch Vander (Y-Wing) with some droids, upgrades, and advanced Torpedos.

Abraxis said...

That's pretty sweet. I will have to play around with it a bit. I got the core set for 25% off and some of the ships are available from amazon for $2-$5 cheaper then retail (its kinda wonky, some they have, others like the TIE Interceptor are actually $10 more expensive than retail). So I got a TIE bomber, y-wing, a-wing, b-wing and the TIE advanced coming. I'm curious to see how the e-wing and tie phantom are...I really liked the Dark Empire comic so those caught my eye immediately.

I've only played as Empire and have lost every single time except once. I used howl runner, a regular tie and a jacked up tie bomber, worked pretty well.

BT said...

I don't think the bomber is that great and missiles do not count as primary weapons for Howlrunner's ability, so only the regular TIE is getting his benefit.

Yeah, a lot of folk are buying the sets just for the cards and trying to re-cap any money they can from the figs. The best way to look at it is that the best ones are more expensive! But with that site you can pretty much just print up a list to play. Maybe next time we meet we can do some X-Wing (though I don't have any ships).

Anonymous said...

I've been buying forge world shit lately, this x-wing game is cheap as chips.

BT said...

Yeah, in comparison. $10-$15 a ship doesn't seem horrible.

Anonymous said...

There are some pretty decent package deals on ebay also. I haven't won any yet, but eventually I will!