So with the new Nagash End Times stuff out for Fantasy I picked up the book. I would love to see GW go this direction with 40k...not necessarily moving the story towards the end of existence (which wouldn't be bad) but a cool narrative campaign book with new units, army formations and models. This book is essentially GW doing their Forge World impression and its damn good. 300 pages of fluff and 100 pages of rules, its pretty great. If you're not into undead then maybe this wouldn't be a great purchase, but I'm loving it.
I also got the Nagash model. Although part of me wants to paint up an army similar to what I used to have I don't think thats in the cards. I would love to paint all the characters, monsters and weird undead constructs but I have no desire to paint 100 zombies or skeletons. I have the same problem with my other Fantasy love, Skaven. So many cool characters and crazy units but painting 100 clan rats? Probably not going to happen.
Anyway, I got the Nagash model for two reasons, one nostalgia, and two with some minor changes I think he will make a much better C'tan for my Necrons then the current Dr. Manhattan one they have now. This guy will take some time (its a huge model) so I'll post some progress pics as I go forward on this project.
First off, here is a pic of my old Nagash model circa 2005? The picture is awful and the paint job is hideous...but so was the model.
Here's the first pic of my new one. Originally I was going to add a bunch of necron bits to him to make him look a touch more futuristic, but as I assembled the model I saw there was just too much detail that I didn't want to fuck with. So instead, I just removed the overtly fantasy elements of the model (like the books and giant hat). My goal is to paint him similar to the GW C'tan (all glowy green).
|assembled, primed black, and then airbrushed up to white the parts that I want to glow|
After the base coating, my first task was to get the robe black and then dry brush a little bit of green on it and gradually increase the green until I got to the white spirit parts, then I switched to washing with green and yellow to blend it together.
|dry brush/green highlights complete and first green wash|
|I did some more green washing after this, but the desired effect is taking place|
|Adding some yellow helped give the spirits depth. After this I plan on doing some white highlights on the spirits and then a few more shades of green wash|